Wednesday 11 March 2015 at 11:30am
Australian Composition Post 1910:
Katy Abbott Introduced Species
Luke Dollman conductor
Dr Katy Abbott composer and presenter
Musicians of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
Join Melbourne-based composer Katy Abbott as she presents her new work, Introduced Species, in three live performance workshops across metropolitan Melbourne. Inspired by the paintings of the same title by Australian artist, Matthew Quick, Katy’s composition explores the impact that human interference can have on music in the same way that Matthew’s art explores the impact that human interference can have on our environment.
Supported by a comprehensive online resource, the performance workshops will include:
- a performance of the work by musicians of the MSO;
- a detailed analysis of the work by the composer;
- an introduction to Matthew Quick’s artwork;
- a discussion around the environment.
This program and its affiliated resource has been specifically designed to link in with the following VCE Music Study Design outcomes:
- Music Performance: Unit 2: Outcome 4 and Unit 3 and 4: Outcome 3
- Music Investigation: Units 3 and 4: Outcome 2
- Music, Style And Composition: Units 1-4 (especially 3-4): Outcomes 2 and 3
It also links into the Australian Curriculum Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability.
The musical score of Introduced Species is available for purchase from the Australian Music Centre.
How to Book
|Cost||$10 per Student. Accompanying teachers free. Bookings open to all schools|
|Bookings||Complete the Schools Booking form online or phone the MSO Box Office (03) 9929 9600 between the hours of 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday|
Introduced Species was commissioned by the Melbourne Symphony
Orchestra to support the 2011-2015 VCE Music Study Design,
and was funded by The Albert H Maggs Award, The University of