Celebrate all things Beethoven this September when the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra presents the Beethoven Festival. Experience the wonder of Beethoven’s five piano concertos which form the centrepiece to two weeks of events celebrating the enduring power and popularity of this extraordinary composer.
Given the extreme technical requirements, the five piano concertos are a huge undertaking, but English pianist Paul Lewis will tackle the challenge over four concerts, conducted by Scottish maestro Douglas Boyd.
On the piano concertos, Lewis explained:
‘There is definitely some kind of journey from the first to the last Piano Concerto. Not a comprehensive journey. To my mind, it tells very specific, individual and valuable things about Beethoven. Each piece is unique.’
The concerts will be complemented by a series of free events in and around Hamer Hall, including:
- Beer, Beethoven + Chat: Discover the making of the man behind some of the greatest classical works in history. Presented by the popular composer and conductor Gordon Hamilton.
- MSO at NGV: Beethoven and Turner: Experience classical music surrounded by classical art when curators from the National Gallery of Victoria and musicians from the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra discuss the links between music and art in the period Beethoven was writing in. Features live performances.
- Streethoven: Before experiencing a Beethoven Piano Concerto in the renowned Hamer Hall, treat yourself to taste of what’s to come when MSO musicians pop up and perform outside the venue.
- In Search of Beethoven: Who was Beethoven? Let award-winning documentary maker Phil Grabsky tell you the story of the great composer through his BBC film exploring the real person behind the myth
- Delve Deeper: Immerse yourself in all things Beethoven during pre and post-concert discussions with pianist Paul Lewis, conductor Douglas Boyd, MSO musicians and special guests
- Beethoven Jams: Offerings for younger audiences include Jams for Juniors on 10 September and Family Jams on 17 September, both based around Beethoven’s works
A full program of festival activities can be found at mso.com.au/beethoven
BEETHOVEN FESTIVAL: THE PIANO CONCERTOS
Date: Wednesday 7 September at 7pm, Saturday 10 September at 7pm, Wednesday 14 September at 7pm, and Saturday 17 September at 7pm
Venue: Hamer Hall, Arts Centre Melbourne
Tickets: $55 – $125 for individual concerts, $180-$400 as a four concert package. Prices subject to change without notice
Bookings: mso.com.au or 03 9929 9600
+61 3 9626 1106